Before I moved full time into Occupational Health and Safety I used to run a residential construction company. Every once in a while, as a builder, you come across a novel situation that calls for a tool that you know for sure you don't have, and, in some cases, are not even quite sure exists. On my first timber framing project, I remember being in awe of the chain mortiser, and the possibilities for joinery it represented. Having used it, I'll never go back to drilling and chiseling again. I'm having a similar experience of delighted discovery with this remarkable 21st century training and risk management tool, Soteria120.
As a Safety Coordinator, one of my many duties is to track and organize safety compliance training for the various work groups within our operation. There's a host of challenges associated with this task:
- Availability and quality of trainers
- Production time lost to classroom time
- Scheduling conflicts with critical production
- Associated travel and accommodation costs for both trainers and employees
- Getting a quorum of students to fill a class minimum
- Beyond pass/fail, no meaningful metric of the employee's retention of material
And, to many employees, safety training is like cleaning toilets: Has to be done. Rather not do it.
Traditional, classroom-based safety training is a tool, an administrative control, that we've all been using for decades to address our workplace risk management. As a tool, I say it lacks sharpness and reliability. Soteria120, as a tool, is sharp, reliable, gives consistently superior results and costs less than the traditional model. When I found this system, I knew I had to be involved, because it solves just about every challenge I've listed above. Here's what I've found from my first few months using this remarkable tool:
- Users need as little 2 minute/day to complete their Mastery Moments. Incorporating this as part of a the morning Toolbox Meeting works great. Scheduling conflicts, lost production time, trainer availability, handled.
- Employees are engaged daily in the learning process. I've been personally test-driving this- the retention of essential information is unmatched.
- You have access to real-time data, with remarkable detail, on what your team knows for sure. To safety administrators and auditors, this is priceless intel.
- Soteria120 gives you another data nugget that I've never seen anywhere else: clear, solid metrics on what critical information your employee thinks they know with certainty, yet, as it turns out, is just plain wrong. Again, priceless.
Also, we're in the midst of a global pandemic. How do we get our team together for training, yet remain safe from contagion. Soteria120 solves this problem too.
Soteria120 is the real deal: a method of agile, micro-learning that supplies data and measurable results like nothing else I've found in my career. It's the tool I've been waiting for.
Do yourself a favor, check it out!